A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is the most generally recommended device for treating sleep apnea disorders.
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) causes cutout or pauses in your breathing, generally because your throat or airways briefly collapse or something temporarily blocks them.
A CPAP machine sends a continuous flow of oxygen into your nose and mouth as you sleep. This keeps your airways open and helps you breathe consistently.
Let’s know the pros and cons of machines and how machines work or another option for sleep apnea.
How does a CPAP machine work?
A CPAP machine’s compressor (engine) makes a normal stream of compressed air that moves through an air-channel into an adaptable tubing. This tube conveys sanitized air into a mask that is fixed around your nose or mouth.
As you rest, the airstream from the CPAP machine pushes against any blockages, opening your airway routes so your lungs get proper oxygen.
Without anything deterring this progression of oxygen, your breathing doesn’t stop. Therefore, you don’t awaken more than once to continue breathing.
There are different types of CPAP machines?
CPAP machines all have the same basic factor:
- a motor housed in a base unit
- a soften mask
- A hosepipe that connects the motor to the mask
- a frame headgear
- “elbow” items that act as joints
- Flexible strips that allow you to customize the fit to the device
Different mask types
Mask styles can fluctuate with various CPAP machines. Which type you wear depends to some extent on your breathing propensities, how agreeable the cover is for you to wear, and the sort of Sleep apnea issue you have.
The various types of CPAP masks include the following:
Nasal pillow mask. This sort of mask has a little cushion that covers over your nose region. It might likewise have a cushion that fits into your nose. You can wear your spax without any problem. It additionally functions admirably on the off chance that you have heaps of beard growth that might keep a bigger size mask from fitting cozily.
Nasal Mask. This sort is a cushioned mask that covers your entire nose region. It could be a superior choice in the event that you will in general move around in your sleep. It can convey a high-pressure airstream.
Full face mask. This sort is molded like a triangle and covers your mouth and nose. Your primary care physician may endorse this sort of mask on the off chance that you inhale through your mouth when you rest or on the other hand in the event that you have a blockage or the like in your nose.
Difference between APAP, CPAP, and BiPAP machines?
Different types of breathing machines include APAP and BiPAP machines. Here’s the manner by which they are different:
CPAP machine. (Continuous positive airway pressure) This machine is modified to deliver compressed air at one consistent pneumatic force level. To change the pneumatic force, you need to reset the gadget’s settings.
APAP (Automatic positive airflow pressure) machine. This benevolent actually takes a look at your breathing for the duration of the evening. It naturally changes the pneumatic stress to make up for changes in your rest position or meds that might have changed your breathing.
BiPAP (Bi-level positive airflow pressure). This gadget has two tension settings, one strain for breathing in and a lower strain for breathing out. It’s utilized for people who can’t endure CPAP machines or have raised carbon dioxide levels in their blood. BiPAP machines can likewise accompany a reinforcement respiratory rate for patients who have central sleep apnea. The reinforcement respiratory rate guarantees the individual inhales, as the fundamental issue with central sleep apnea is starting breath.
Pros and cons of using a CPAP machine?
Similarly, as with many sorts of treatment, there are advantages and downsides related to the utilization of a CPAP machine. The following are the pros and cons of using a CPAP machine.
The advantages of utilizing a CPAP machine are all around recorded. These machines convey a constant supply of oxygen to your body as you sleep. Thusly, they assist with forestalling the short breathing interferences that are the sign of sleep apnea.
Pros of using a CPAP machine
- improves your strength to sleep without waking up
- brings down your risk of having a heart attack, stroke, or another cardiovascular event.
- helps bring down your BP (blood pressure)
- daytime tiredness reduces
- may reduce cholesterol and levels of blood glucose
A CPAP machine can assist with avoiding breathing interferences when you sleep, there are likewise downsides to this gadget. Certain individuals quit utilizing CPAP machines because of the incidental effects.
Cons of using a CPAP machine
- Uneasiness and troubles in falling asleep, particularly in the beginning.
- a sensation of claustrophobia or tension
- nasal clog
- Dryness in mouth
- skin disturbance or injuries where the mask contacts the face
- a sensation of being swollen with air
Other options for sleep apnea
In view of their disadvantages, CPAP gadgets don’t work for each individual with sleep apnea.
If you note that the CPAP machine doesn’t function admirably for you, converse with your medical services supplier regarding whether one of these therapy alternatives may be a choice:
- Changing dozing position. Certain individuals possibly experience sleep apnea when they rest on their back. A couple of things help to hold you on your side by the interface you back from turning over. You could likewise attempt basically binds a tennis ball to the rear of your sleepwear.
- Oral machines. Gadgets like a mouthguard or an orthodontic retainer can assist with keeping your airway routes open by putting pressure on your tongue.
- Hypoglossal nerve incitement. This surgically embedded gadget conveys exact electric improvements to the nerves in your airway routes. This works on the muscle tone of your airway routes which, thus, assists your airway route remains open.
- Neural incitement. In the event that you have particular sorts of central sleep apnea, a surgically embedded gadget can convey impulses through your phrenic nerve (which runs from your neck to your stomach) to invigorate your stomach. These aides start breathing while you’re sleeping.
- Dietary and exercise treatments. Weight is a danger factor for certain sorts of sleep apnea. Changing your eating regimen and exercising all the more frequently may assist you with getting more fit and losing weight the seriousness of your manifestations.
- Medical surgery procedure. A few kids have apnea on the grounds that their tonsils or adenoids are too huge. Medical procedures to eliminate them can regularly resolve the apnea. In grown-ups, medical procedure isn’t generally as successful on the grounds that it tends to be hard to pinpoint the area of the blockage that causes rest apnea. In any case, a few medical procedures — quite uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) and altered radiofrequency tissue removal (MRTA) — have worked for certain individuals.
CPAP machines treat sleep apnea by conveying a surge of oxygenated air into your airway routes through a mask and a tube. The compressed air keeps your airway routes from falling, which permits you to inhale constantly while you sleep
There are a few types of CPAP machines. Which one your medical services supplier endorses for you will rely upon the sort of sleep apnea you have, how comfortable it is for you to wear, and what breathing and dozing habits you have.
While a CPAP machine conveys an airstream at one consistent pressure, BiPAP and APAP machines change the strain as indicated by your requirements.
CPAP machines are awkward for certain individuals. If a CPAP gadget doesn’t function admirably for you, converse with your medical services supplier about other therapy choices that might assist with keeping your airway routes open while you sleep.